Waitangi Tribunal Unit
The Waitangi Tribunal Unit of the Ministry of Justice provides administrative and support services to the Waitangi Tribunal and is based in Wellington.
The registrarial team:
- assesses applications to register and amend claims
- manages applications for urgencies and remedies
- oversees the records of inquiry
- advises the Legal Services Commissioner on legal aid funding to claimants(external link).
The claims coordination team:
- provides logistical support and advice relating to judicial conferences, hearings, and Tribunal panel meetings
- helps inquiry participants to engage effectively with the Tribunal processes
- maintains and distributes documents filed on the records of inquiry and updates key database systems
- is a key point of contact and administration support for Tribunal members.
The inquiry facilitation team:
- advises on the planning and delivery of inquriy processes
- provides claimants and Tribunal panels advice on evidential and inquiry process matters
- facilitates the effective participation of all parties through inquiries up to the close of hearings.
The research services team:
- assists Tribunal panels to plan and implement casebook research programmes
- undertakes Tribunal-commissioned research
- provides quality assurance on research
- assists Tribunal panels to determine issues for inquiry, in particular through Tribunal statements of issues
The report-writing team:
- supports the planning and delivery of Waitangi Tribunal reports
- assists Tribunal panels to draft their reports
- manages report publication.
The Director’s Office
- provides general oversight and direction of the Waitangi Tribunal Unit’s activities
- advises on the design and content of the research and report writing work programmes, and quality standards for all the Tribunal's work
- provides strategic advice on the Tribunal's work programme, support services and delivery of projects.
This page was last updated: